Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nuclear reactor in which the coolant is carbon dioxide, with uranium oxide fuel clad in steel and using graphite as a moderator.
- ‘The cracks were spotted in graphite bricks in the cores of all the company's advanced gas-cooled reactors, or AGRs. Collectively, they provide the country with nearly one fifth of its electricity.’
- ‘An advanced gas-cooled reactor on the site is also undergoing decommissioning.’
- ‘The nuclear plant comprises two advanced gas-cooled reactors providing steam at high pressure and temperature to two dedicated 660 MW steam turbine generators.’
- ‘Oxide fuel used in advanced gas-cooled reactors and light-water reactors can be stored safely for longer periods of time.’
- ‘The historic costs of decommissioning British Magnox and advanced gas-cooled reactors do not bear comparison with the costs of decommissioning modern plants.’
advanced gas-cooled reactor/ədˌvanst ˌɡasko͞old rēˈaktər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.