Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nuclear reactor in which the coolant is carbon dioxide, with uranium oxide fuel clad in steel and using graphite as a moderator.
- ‘Oxide fuel used in advanced gas-cooled reactors and light-water reactors can be stored safely for longer periods of time.’
- ‘The historic costs of decommissioning British Magnox and advanced gas-cooled reactors do not bear comparison with the costs of decommissioning modern plants.’
- ‘The cracks were spotted in graphite bricks in the cores of all the company's advanced gas-cooled reactors, or AGRs. Collectively, they provide the country with nearly one fifth of its electricity.’
- ‘The nuclear plant comprises two advanced gas-cooled reactors providing steam at high pressure and temperature to two dedicated 660 MW steam turbine generators.’
- ‘An advanced gas-cooled reactor on the site is also undergoing decommissioning.’
advanced gas-cooled reactor/ədˌvanst ˌɡasko͞old rēˈaktər/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.