One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who visits a location before the arrival of an important visitor to make the appropriate arrangements.
- ‘The trick isn't very difficult, and the magician - who's been in business for many decades, doesn't even do it very well - but he doesn't have to, because he has the believers already deceived by his advance men.’
- ‘An advance man suggested, ‘Maybe we ought to go to the reception for Leah Rabin.’’
- ‘At each stop Hart's advance men made sure of a reception by supporters and local news media, and the media never gave the lie to their pictures of the candidate surrounded by the enthusiastic crowd.’
- ‘It turns out that it was one of his advance men.’
- ‘Of course, some advance men might foresee the possibility of bad weather in the Midwest in early November…’
- ‘We had - we had an advance man of mine, an Hispanic guy in the state - earlier primary state - I'm not going to tell you which one - who got stopped.’
- ‘I was there when he was doing his first original entry into politics, he was an advance man for his presidential campaign.’
- ‘During 1999 and early 2000, he worked as a volunteer advance man for more than a dozen of the politician's town hall meetings in New Hampshire and South Carolina.’
- ‘You have an advance man who attends every dinner who comes and tells you if there are any problems.’
- ‘You have an advance man on the ground making sure that everything is running smoothly.’
- ‘Now we cut to a party advance man being followed down the street by 3 cameras, being asked where the leader of the party is.’
- ‘I know it was attributed somehow to some ingenious advance man from staff.’
- ‘And a young advance man beckoned to me, told me to get into his pickup truck, and said that someone wanted to see me.’
- ‘Caterers, technicians and advance men were setting up an informal mix of a press conference and Texas style barbecue.’
- ‘The advance man would be followed a week later by a crew of four - including ‘Elliot Forbes’ and two ‘nurses’ - to actually manage the film during its run.’
- ‘The shopping trip was coordinated by one of the politician's advance men.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.