One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement of a person's wishes regarding medical treatment, often including a living will, made to ensure those wishes are carried out should the person be unable to communicate them to a doctor.
- ‘Work from the United States has shown that advance directives have no effect in improving the accuracy of substituted judgments by proxies (friends or relatives).’
- ‘Assuming responsibility for care coordination is especially important at the end of life with the increased emphasis on advance directives and living wills.’
- ‘Documents about advance directives and surrogate decision makers should be prominent and easily accessed in the medical record.’
- ‘Ideally, people should draw up advance directives, either a living will or the appointment of a surrogate to act in their behalf should they become incompetent.’
- ‘It is imperative to discuss a living will and advance directives with patients who have terminal cirrhosis.’
- ‘Your loved one may have left a clear guide to end-of-life choices, such as a living will or an advance directive.’
- ‘As nurses, we need to be knowledgeable about the legal implications of advance directives, living wills, health care agent, and conservator of person.’
- ‘If patient capacity and advance directives are lacking, is a surrogate decision-maker available?’
- ‘Family physicians possess knowledge they can use to guide their patients in appropriate decision-making concerning advance directives.’
- ‘Do your parents have advance directives, such as a living will, an organ donor card or a do-not-resuscitate order?’
- ‘Discuss the patient's need to make advance directives and to identify surrogates for medical and legal decision-making.’
- ‘The majority of the patients with advance directives had durable power of attorney for health care.’
- ‘However, the patient had never signed a formal advance directive statement or assigned durable power of attorney for her health care to anyone.’
- ‘The living will, a written advance directive, allows a competent person to indicate his or her health care preferences while cognitively and physically healthy.’
- ‘Most Americans do not complete advance directives, such as durable powers of attorney or living wills.’
- ‘Even when patients have completed an advance directive and durable power of attorney, decisions at the end of life can be difficult.’
- ‘Patients often were unable to participate in their own decision making about medical treatment, lacked an advance directive, and required others to act as surrogate decision makers.’
- ‘The Mental Capacity Bill should provide clearer guidelines on research on people with dementia, and past wishes and advance directives will need to be included.’
- ‘Future research is needed to determine whether close family relationships in the Filipino American population have an effect on completing advance directives.’
- ‘Other issues that need to be addressed with patients and caregivers include advance directives, the living will and the durable power of attorney.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.