One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement of a person's wishes regarding medical treatment, often including a living will, made to ensure those wishes are carried out should the person be unable to communicate them to a doctor.
- ‘Other issues that need to be addressed with patients and caregivers include advance directives, the living will and the durable power of attorney.’
- ‘If patient capacity and advance directives are lacking, is a surrogate decision-maker available?’
- ‘Documents about advance directives and surrogate decision makers should be prominent and easily accessed in the medical record.’
- ‘The living will, a written advance directive, allows a competent person to indicate his or her health care preferences while cognitively and physically healthy.’
- ‘Discuss the patient's need to make advance directives and to identify surrogates for medical and legal decision-making.’
- ‘Do your parents have advance directives, such as a living will, an organ donor card or a do-not-resuscitate order?’
- ‘Assuming responsibility for care coordination is especially important at the end of life with the increased emphasis on advance directives and living wills.’
- ‘Family physicians possess knowledge they can use to guide their patients in appropriate decision-making concerning advance directives.’
- ‘Ideally, people should draw up advance directives, either a living will or the appointment of a surrogate to act in their behalf should they become incompetent.’
- ‘Most Americans do not complete advance directives, such as durable powers of attorney or living wills.’
- ‘As nurses, we need to be knowledgeable about the legal implications of advance directives, living wills, health care agent, and conservator of person.’
- ‘It is imperative to discuss a living will and advance directives with patients who have terminal cirrhosis.’
- ‘Your loved one may have left a clear guide to end-of-life choices, such as a living will or an advance directive.’
- ‘Work from the United States has shown that advance directives have no effect in improving the accuracy of substituted judgments by proxies (friends or relatives).’
- ‘Even when patients have completed an advance directive and durable power of attorney, decisions at the end of life can be difficult.’
- ‘The majority of the patients with advance directives had durable power of attorney for health care.’
- ‘Future research is needed to determine whether close family relationships in the Filipino American population have an effect on completing advance directives.’
- ‘The Mental Capacity Bill should provide clearer guidelines on research on people with dementia, and past wishes and advance directives will need to be included.’
- ‘Patients often were unable to participate in their own decision making about medical treatment, lacked an advance directive, and required others to act as surrogate decision makers.’
- ‘However, the patient had never signed a formal advance directive statement or assigned durable power of attorney for her health care to anyone.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.