One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that adsorbs another.
- ‘Within a typical cell stack and reformer there are nine to 10 different catalysts and adsorbents, notes John Mooney, director of technical development and business programs.’
- ‘Liquid is drawn off to a high gradient magnetic separator where the non-magnetic fraction containing decontaminated liquid is separated off; the slurry is removed for use as an adsorbent.’
- ‘Sampling of gases and vapors by active sampling on a solid adsorbent or passive sampling by diffusion is routinely done and well documented.’
- ‘The thin layer may be an adsorbent such as silica gel or alumina, which is made into a slurry, placed in a layer on the glass plate, and then dried.’
- ‘Partial dehydration to about 4% water by weight produces the commercial silica gel product, a highly porous material often used as a drying agent or adsorbent for chromatography.’
- ‘All chromatographic methods rely on differences in the affinities of the various members of a group of dissolved or gaseous chemicals for a certain adsorbent.’
- ‘An effort was made to utilize a low cost adsorbent for retaining metal ions from leaching out into water resources.’
- ‘Now, a company in Minnesota is keenly interested in testing the soybean hull adsorbents.’
- ‘Casein and gelatin function as adsorbents for phenolics and can reduce a wine's excess bitterness and astringency.’
- ‘While several agents are available, activated charcoal is the most broadly effective adsorbent.’
- ‘Activated carbon can be impregnated with chemicals to make it a more effective adsorbent.’
- ‘Activated charcoal was used as adsorbent (Precision charcoal filter, 5 mg) in a glass tube.’
Able to adsorb substances.
- ‘The idea here is to use an adsorbent surface (a roughened metal plate) to concentrate explosive vapours.’
- ‘This shift indicates a significant change in the peptide conformation due to the nature of the adsorbent surfaces.’
- ‘This combination of a highly adsorbent aromatic base structure, together with a low yield of liquid product on generation typically results in only gas being expelled.’
- ‘One idea is to convert them into ion exchange resins for use in adsorbent filters to capture metals in solutions.’
- ‘The labyrinth of pores that characterize a family of inorganic crystals known as zeolites gives the crystals catalytic and adsorbent powers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.