One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that adsorbs another.
- ‘Casein and gelatin function as adsorbents for phenolics and can reduce a wine's excess bitterness and astringency.’
- ‘Now, a company in Minnesota is keenly interested in testing the soybean hull adsorbents.’
- ‘The thin layer may be an adsorbent such as silica gel or alumina, which is made into a slurry, placed in a layer on the glass plate, and then dried.’
- ‘Sampling of gases and vapors by active sampling on a solid adsorbent or passive sampling by diffusion is routinely done and well documented.’
- ‘While several agents are available, activated charcoal is the most broadly effective adsorbent.’
- ‘Within a typical cell stack and reformer there are nine to 10 different catalysts and adsorbents, notes John Mooney, director of technical development and business programs.’
- ‘All chromatographic methods rely on differences in the affinities of the various members of a group of dissolved or gaseous chemicals for a certain adsorbent.’
- ‘Activated charcoal was used as adsorbent (Precision charcoal filter, 5 mg) in a glass tube.’
- ‘Activated carbon can be impregnated with chemicals to make it a more effective adsorbent.’
- ‘Liquid is drawn off to a high gradient magnetic separator where the non-magnetic fraction containing decontaminated liquid is separated off; the slurry is removed for use as an adsorbent.’
- ‘Partial dehydration to about 4% water by weight produces the commercial silica gel product, a highly porous material often used as a drying agent or adsorbent for chromatography.’
- ‘An effort was made to utilize a low cost adsorbent for retaining metal ions from leaching out into water resources.’
Able to adsorb substances.
- ‘The labyrinth of pores that characterize a family of inorganic crystals known as zeolites gives the crystals catalytic and adsorbent powers.’
- ‘This combination of a highly adsorbent aromatic base structure, together with a low yield of liquid product on generation typically results in only gas being expelled.’
- ‘This shift indicates a significant change in the peptide conformation due to the nature of the adsorbent surfaces.’
- ‘One idea is to convert them into ion exchange resins for use in adsorbent filters to capture metals in solutions.’
- ‘The idea here is to use an adsorbent surface (a roughened metal plate) to concentrate explosive vapours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.