Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cleverness or skill.‘he lacks political adroitness’
skill, skilfulness, prowess, expertise, expertness, adeptness, handiness, nimbleness, dexterity, dexterousness, deftnessability, capability, competence, competency, mastery, virtuosity, proficiency, accomplishment, artistry, art, knack, bent, faculty, facility, aptitude, flair, finesse, talent, gift, giftednessquick-wittedness, cleverness, intelligence, wisdom, brilliance, brightness, sharpness, cunning, artfulness, astuteness, diplomacy, discretion, shrewdness, resourcefulness, ingenuity, inventiveness, imagination, imaginativenesssavoir faireniftiness, nippiness, know-how, savvyView synonyms
- ‘They focused on three different social skills: social anxiety, social adroitness, and self-monitoring.’
- ‘Mental ability tests do not measure personality, social adroitness, leadership, charisma, cool-headedness, altruism, or many other things that we value.’
- ‘Clarendon admired his dexterity and adroitness.’
- ‘Few bands, if any at all, can challenge their adroitness on stage as they are simply magical.’
- ‘The adroitness and patience of a long line of monarchs and royal ministers, who moved gradually but steadily to centralize both authority and power in their own hands, were crowned with unimaginable success.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.