One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Affected with adrenaline.
- ‘All this in a few seconds and as suddenly as it started it finished and I leapt out of bed, grabbing my glasses and running into the hallway, more adrenalised than scared.’
- ‘The sensible thing to do would have been to kick him in the ribs, I was furiously angry, I was beside myself furious, adrenalised to the max.’
- ‘He jumped, hurling his adrenalised body left onto the pavement.’
- ‘It was only as they were hurrying back to their respective homes that night did they become themselves again - two adrenalized teenagers who felt as if they had conquered the world in an hour.’
- ‘My booksack is beside my right hip and, still tired and angry, yet adrenalized, I open it and pull out my only assignment, chemistry.’
- 1.1informal Excited, charged, or tense.‘they possess an adrenalized vigor that distinguishes them from other bands’
- ‘Sailors from Australia and New Zealand have been hooked for decades on the adrenalized thrills of skiff sailing - a sport in which two- or three-person boats fly ridiculous amounts of sail on shallow, lightning-fast hulls.’
- ‘Petronio transforms these time-tested techniques into his singular brand of adrenalized, edgy dance.’
- ‘I could go on but all I seem to remember the adrenalized racket of guitars scraping my eardrums.’
- ‘The end result is an amazing 45 minutes of pure, adrenalized musical bliss - sloppy playing and all.’
- ‘The emergency room is an urgently adrenalized place where everybody fights to find patchwork solutions to problems, leaving the long-term consequences for the patients to another day.’
- ‘Together they are an unmissable combination and ‘Pretty Bones’ sends adrenalised rushes of excitement through everyone's body.’
- ‘This 2001 set comes closest to capturing their kinetic, adrenalised live synergy.’
- ‘This was big-budget American action cinema at its burliest - an adrenalized blur of gunfire, squealing tires and screaming faces.’
- ‘Like their fellow citizens Plastilina Mosh and Café Tacuba, Kinky are polymorphous postmodernists with one foot in experimental art and the other in adrenalized dance.’
- ‘Just that instant of anticipation, the realization of what was about to happen, was an adrenalized buzz.’
- ‘The purpose of these tracks would seem to be for adrenalized action, but it merely serves to dominate the game's aural aspect.’
- ‘It may be the most adrenalized sequence in all of contemporary cinema.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.