One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
proper nounGreek Mythology
1A beautiful youth loved by both Aphrodite and Persephone. He was killed by a boar, but Zeus decreed that he should spend the winter of each year in the underworld with Persephone and the summer months with Aphrodite.
- 1.1as noun an Adonis An extremely handsome young man.‘not all of us have the body of an Adonis’
- ‘The lad was an Adonis, and with rakish good looks and a devilmay-care smile, he seemed to hold the world by a string.’
- ‘I look round, expecting to see some six foot Adonis with a winning smile and an easy charm.’
- ‘Seeing himself as an Adonis and a gift to women and lacking any respect for the gender was his undoing.’
- ‘He looked like an Adonis with the late morning sun showering him in a ray of light.’
- ‘An Adonis, his physique was imposing and he carried himself with the bearing of a champion.’
- 1.1as noun an Adonis An extremely handsome young man.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.