One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Filipino dish of chicken or pork stewed in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- ‘I tried the Thai green curry, Filipino adobo and Malaysian satay; all delicious.’
- ‘To prepare the chicken (both for the adobo and for the soup), the first step is to boil the chicken breasts in a lot of water.’
- ‘From the main dishes, there's lots to choose from, but I'd definitely recommend checking out the adobo, the flagship dish of Filipino cuisine: tender chunks of pork cooked in soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaves.’
- ‘These days he gives some squid to friends and uses the rest to make a traditional Philippine dish called adobo, with squid marinated in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and crushed peppercorns, then cooked and served with rice.’
- ‘The Philippine Embassy ladies will participate in the mela and introduce everyone to cuisine like chicken adobo, garlic rice, pancit or vegetarian and non-vegetarian noodles, Philippine chicken barbecue and other delicacies.’
- ‘Everybody, except Sandara who was busy eating some adobo, looked at Hero strangely.’
- ‘In the Philippines, nipa vinegar is used to prepare chicken adobo and paksiw.’
2A paste or marinade made from chili peppers, vinegar, herbs, and spices, used in Mexican cooking.
- ‘Grilled flank steak is marvelously roast-beefy, sinewy and heady with adobo spice.’
- ‘Thus, the Thanksgiving turkey is done with adobo, a local seasoning mix.’
- ‘Or you can season the meat as they do in Jalisco, Mexico, with a tangy adobo rub of paprika, herbs, and vinegar.’
- ‘Plump shrimp empanadas, fried dark as copper, get heat from adobo and sweetness from pineapple.’
- ‘It is large enough to serve as lunch for two or three, and luxuriously flavoured with pork adobo and with chilli.’
- ‘If you can only find whole chipotles, puree 2-3 peppers along with some adobo in a blender to proceed with this recipe.’
- ‘If you don't have adobo seasoning (found in Latin markets and some supermarkets), use 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon dried red chile flakes.’
- ‘Food in the two restaurants - the poolside Ketsi and the more formal Aramara - is wonderful, featuring healthy Nuevo Latino (mango-and-chili-glazed shrimp; adobo veal chops) cuisine.’
- ‘The adobo marinade may be used to marinate raw meat for up to twenty-four hours before grilling or roasting.’
Spanish, literally ‘marinade’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.