One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The adjutant of a unit having a general staff.
- ‘During the Civil War Gilmer held a variety of staff positions, including quartermaster and adjutant general of the Hilliard Alabama Legion.’
- 1.1the Adjutant General (in the US Army) the chief administrative officer.
- ‘In 1926 and again the next year, he wrote plaintive letters to the army's adjutant general wondering how it was that the Private had received a Medal of Honor so long after the fact.’
- ‘The Adjutant General replied that by the strictures of the 1918 act of Congress, no award could be made after three years had elapsed since the performance of the deed.’
- ‘Once again in Washington, Patton wrote a report to the Adjutant General and stressed the advantages of Clery's system over the methods used in the U.S. Army.’
- ‘For reasons now unclear, the bill was withdrawn and action on the proposal ceased on January 3, 1928; however, the Adjutant General of the Army was instructed to file all materials for potential future use.’
- ‘State military forces under the control of the Adjutant General may assist neighboring states in responding to natural disasters and homeland security mission where bilateral agreements exist.’
- 1.2 The senior officer in the National Guard of a US state.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.