Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a building, room, or piece of land) next to or joined with.‘I was in an adjoining room and could hear voices’‘they ended up buying the adjoining land’
- ‘The judgment was ambiguous over the adjoining 1.8 square mile plot, opening the way for both sides to claim it.’
- ‘We will now be able to sell the remaining part of the adjoining block to recoup some of our costs.’
- ‘She chased the spider from its web onto adjoining vegetation to which the lead threads of the web were attached.’
- ‘The Grotto of St Paul, below the adjoining Chapel of St Publius, is the main point of interest.’
- ‘It is fitted with traditional pine presses with further storage available in the adjoining utility room.’
- ‘The old house was moved to an adjoining lot on Walnut Street, just around the corner from its original location.’
- ‘All too soon you will be shepherded into an adjoining area for the actual tasting.’
- ‘This variety of riverine habitat supports a different range of species, which greatly add to the value of the adjoining meadows.’
- ‘Some live in restricted areas in the West Bank, some in adjoining Arab countries, some in the United States.’
- ‘Demolition will start next week on an adjoining building, with some initial work starting at the same time.’
- ‘No adjoining land is available for the station expansion.’
- ‘His remains were removed to the Church of the Assumption in Templeorum, followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery.’
- ‘Interment took place in the adjoining cemetery, following Requiem Mass at 2 pm on Wednesday, January 26.’
- ‘The university subsequently expanded the Belfield Campus portfolio to include adjoining properties.’
- ‘Following Requiem Mass burial took place in the adjoining cemetery the next day.’
- ‘The planned development in Lowndes Square is currently two adjoining townhouses, which were split into nine separate apartments in 1998.’
- ‘Between them they gave a clear succinct presentation of how our and adjoining communities see the way forward.’
- ‘The plant has a rural location with an adjoining farm which is also owned by the business.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.