One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, rayless, fleshy dorsal fin present in certain fishes, notably in the salmon family.
- ‘Another physical characteristic of the brook trout is an adipose fin and a caudal fin that is slightly forked.’
- ‘It has a small terminal mouth, and an adipose fin may or may not be present.’
- ‘Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.’
- ‘There is no dorsal adipose fin present on Rhadinesthes decimus.’
- ‘All stocked fish had the adipose fin clipped so that they could easily be recognised.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.