One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, rayless, fleshy dorsal fin present in certain fishes, notably in the salmon family.
- ‘Another physical characteristic of the brook trout is an adipose fin and a caudal fin that is slightly forked.’
- ‘There is no dorsal adipose fin present on Rhadinesthes decimus.’
- ‘All stocked fish had the adipose fin clipped so that they could easily be recognised.’
- ‘Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.’
- ‘It has a small terminal mouth, and an adipose fin may or may not be present.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.