Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, rayless, fleshy dorsal fin present in certain fishes, notably in the salmon family.
- ‘It has a small terminal mouth, and an adipose fin may or may not be present.’
- ‘There is no dorsal adipose fin present on Rhadinesthes decimus.’
- ‘All stocked fish had the adipose fin clipped so that they could easily be recognised.’
- ‘Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.’
- ‘Another physical characteristic of the brook trout is an adipose fin and a caudal fin that is slightly forked.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.