An enzyme that catalyzes the formation of cyclic adenylic acid from adenosine triphosphate.
- ‘The response of cells to the binding of glucagon to its cell surface receptor is the activation of the enzyme adenylate cyclase which is associated with the receptor.’
- ‘In unstimulated ORNs, both adenylate cyclase and cAMP phosphodiesterase are active.’
- ‘The cAMP is produced by adenylate cyclase, and that enzyme is activated by phosphorylated IIA Glc.’
- ‘When epinephrine contacts a cell membrane, it triggers the allosteric activation of adenylate cyclase, the enzyme that creates cAMP. cAMP then allosterically activates a protein kinase.’
- ‘In isolated cilia and in intact olfactory receptor neurons, studies have shown basal activities of both adenylate cyclase and cAMP phosphodiesterase.’