Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of DNA viruses first discovered in adenoid tissue, most of which cause respiratory diseases.
- ‘Some viruses that cause pneumonia are adenoviruses, rhinovirus, influenza virus, respiratory syncytial virus, and parainfluenza virus (the virus that causes croup).’
- ‘Symptoms of influenza-like illness can be caused by multiple respiratory viruses, including respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and coronavirus.’
- ‘Retroviruses, adenoviruses, and lentiviruses have all been used as vehicles for RNA interference constructs.’
- ‘These are usually self-limited syndromes caused by a variety of viruses: rhinovirus, adenovirus, echovirus, coxsackievirus, influenza, and parainfluenza viruses.’
- ‘Among the viruses that are put under the microscope are the adenoviruses, bunyaviruses, retroviruses and the coronaviruses (the genus behind SARS outbreak).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.