Any of a group of DNA viruses first discovered in adenoid tissue, most of which cause respiratory diseases.
- ‘Among the viruses that are put under the microscope are the adenoviruses, bunyaviruses, retroviruses and the coronaviruses (the genus behind SARS outbreak).’
- ‘Symptoms of influenza-like illness can be caused by multiple respiratory viruses, including respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and coronavirus.’
- ‘Retroviruses, adenoviruses, and lentiviruses have all been used as vehicles for RNA interference constructs.’
- ‘These are usually self-limited syndromes caused by a variety of viruses: rhinovirus, adenovirus, echovirus, coxsackievirus, influenza, and parainfluenza viruses.’
- ‘Some viruses that cause pneumonia are adenoviruses, rhinovirus, influenza virus, respiratory syncytial virus, and parainfluenza virus (the virus that causes croup).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.