A benign tumor formed from glandular structures in epithelial tissue.
- ‘Hepatic adenomas are benign tumors composed entirely of hepatocytes and the appropriate supporting connective tissue framework.’
- ‘Important clinical and biological differences exist between the adenoma carcinoma sequence and ulcerative colitis associated neoplasia.’
- ‘These authors do not clearly state whether these 14 cases represent true malignant mixed tumors or carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenomas.’
- ‘The number of patients with neoplastic lesions, adenomas, adenomas 1 cm or more in diameter and adenocarcinoma was similar in both groups.’
- ‘It is currently believed that most colorectal carcinomas start as benign adenomas that undergo malignant transformation into adenocarcinoma.’
Late 19th century: from Latin, from Greek adēn gland + -oma.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.