Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gregarious and territorial penguin of Antarctica, perhaps the most familiar of all the penguins. The adults have a distinctive white ring around the eye.→ penguin
- ‘In 2001 a large iceberg broke from Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf, drifting to an area with large concentrations of Adélie penguin colonies.’
- ‘The researchers examined well-preserved bones of Adélie penguins found in Antarctica and compared them to the birds’ living descendants.’
- ‘‘We've predicted that the Adélie penguin will soon be locally extinct,’ Fraser, of the Polar Oceans Research Group, said.’
- ‘While some damage has occurred, an eight-year study by the National Science Foundation found no effect on the Adélie penguin population.’
- ‘The total migration for the Adélie penguins from their wintering area is on the order of several hundred miles, much of which they cover by swimming.’
Adélie penguin/əˈdālē ˌpeNGɡwin/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.