One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious territorial penguin of Antarctica, having a distinctive white ring around the eye.
Pygoscelis adeliae, family Spheniscidae
- ‘The researchers examined well-preserved bones of Adélie penguins found in Antarctica and compared them to the birds’ living descendants.’
- ‘While some damage has occurred, an eight-year study by the National Science Foundation found no effect on the Adélie penguin population.’
- ‘‘We've predicted that the Adélie penguin will soon be locally extinct,’ Fraser, of the Polar Oceans Research Group, said.’
- ‘In 2001 a large iceberg broke from Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf, drifting to an area with large concentrations of Adélie penguin colonies.’
- ‘The total migration for the Adélie penguins from their wintering area is on the order of several hundred miles, much of which they cover by swimming.’
Early 20th century: from Adélie in Adélie Land.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.