One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious and territorial penguin of Antarctica, perhaps the most familiar of all the penguins. The adults have a distinctive white ring around the eye.
- ‘The total migration for the Adélie penguins from their wintering area is on the order of several hundred miles, much of which they cover by swimming.’
- ‘The researchers examined well-preserved bones of Adélie penguins found in Antarctica and compared them to the birds’ living descendants.’
- ‘While some damage has occurred, an eight-year study by the National Science Foundation found no effect on the Adélie penguin population.’
- ‘In 2001 a large iceberg broke from Antarctica's Ross Ice Shelf, drifting to an area with large concentrations of Adélie penguin colonies.’
- ‘‘We've predicted that the Adélie penguin will soon be locally extinct,’ Fraser, of the Polar Oceans Research Group, said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.