Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Mentally muddled or lacking in common sense; confused, irrational.‘he made the addlebrained decision to install an uncertain rookie at point guard’
- ‘His voice was persuasive; it reached a person's soul without passing by way of his head, and even to a being as addlebrained as Big João, it seemed like a balm that healed old and terrible wounds.’
- ‘It's an eponym named for the addlebrained literary character, Mrs. Malaprop.’
- ‘Fortunately, I decided to visit in February, when the chances of becoming addlebrained from the heat, anemic from the mosquito horde, or battered by a hurricane were mercifully low.’
- ‘Her addlebrained brother Governor Bellingham who can't see beyond the end of his nose is played by Dale Place.’
- ‘It's a pose that should not be taken seriously, nothing more than addlebrained adolescents playing naughty dress-up, bored children looking for attention.’
- ‘Making her talking-picture debut in 1933's When Ladies Meet, Brady rapidly became one of Hollywood's most prolific portrayers of addlebrained society matrons and world-weary matriarchs.’
- ‘The actors who play them are spectacular, especially Bremner's addlebrained Spud and Carlyle's vicious Begbie.’
- ‘So brainwashing became a pejorative, and the phrase ‘you've been brainwashed,’ a term of reproach, as if the prisoner had become addlebrained, or a simpleton, during his captivity.’
- ‘The ‘sleigh ride’ my friend and I took yesterday evening in a pontoon boat on Lake Merritt was pleasantly addlebrained.’
- ‘There is a sense of wild abandon in this addlebrained flick.’
- ‘The problem is that the hostess is just this side of addlebrained.’
- ‘If proposing a remake is generally an addlebrained conceit, how ridiculous is it to suggest reworking a movie by one of the greatest filmmakers of all time?’
- ‘Ray's really just an addlebrained pothead.’
- ‘Was this addlebrained twit asking you to loan her a knife & then go back to using that same knife - ON FOOD?’
- ‘Let me just point out that even addlebrained as he is, Theodore is still a gentleman.’
- ‘This man is an addlebrained and barely coherent rabble-rouser.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.