Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A computer program that caches advertising on personal computers from an Internet-connected server and then displays the advertising when certain linked programs are being used.
- ‘Secondly, I knew that sooner or later the adbots would find the forum and I'd have to close it down anyway.’
- ‘This is primarily for advertising purposes and some adbots will also retrieve and display ads on your system based on the information that they have sent out.’
- ‘When you reconnect to the Internet, the adbot sends what is called a ‘backchannel report’ detailing which banners were displayed.’
- ‘If you have a couple of adbots loaded onto your computer, you usually won't experience many problems.’
- ‘Many programs that surreptitiously access the Internet - such as ‘adbots’ - go undetected by users.’
Blend of ad(vertising) and (ro)bot.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.