Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Facing toward the stem of a plant (especially denoting the upper surface of a leaf)The opposite of abaxial
- ‘Since the midvein (indicated by an arrowhead) is at the center of the images it is clearly shown that the leaves curl toward their adaxial surface.’
- ‘In Florida, Prokelisia are present throughout the year feeding on the phloem and laying eggs into the adaxial surfaces of the leaves.’
- ‘For this reason, separate mechanisms of acclimation for regulation of stomatal density on adaxial and abaxial surfaces have been proposed.’
- ‘Colour fluorescence micrographs depict the first leaf adaxial surface from 2-week-old wheat.’
- ‘The environments of the adaxial and abaxial leaf surface differ in many ways.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.