Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The diversification of a group of organisms into forms filling different ecological niches.
- ‘Thus, nowadays, these four species represent progressive stages of late speciation and constitute an excellent example of ecological speciation and adaptive radiation.’
- ‘As in other oceanic islands, the Canaries are characterized by a large number of endemic species as a result of apparent extensive speciation, putatively due to adaptive radiation and genetic drift.’
- ‘Under the ecological theory of adaptive radiation, adaptation and reproductive isolation are thought to evolve as a result of divergent natural selection.’
- ‘Over the long-term, appearance of new species may result from speciation and adaptive radiation.’
- ‘In an insular environment a plant family may undergo adaptive radiation with new taxa adapted to and occupying different and sometimes narrow habitats.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.