One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unbreakable.‘adamantine chains’figurative ‘her adamantine will’
unbreakable, shatterproof, non-breakableView synonyms
- ‘Greece will bring an adamantine spirit to the final rather than virtuosity.’
- ‘Here is Prometheus, the rebel: nail him to the rock; secure him on this towering summit fast in the unyielding grip of adamantine chains.’
- ‘I am possessed, as much as the next man, of that stiff upper lip, steely resolve and adamantine backbone which make us British positively megalithic in the face of danger.’
- ‘I don't have a problem with naturalistic explanations for miracles, as long as they are not too tortured or based on a philosophy which is, at bottom, the adamantine will to deny the supernatural at all costs.’
- ‘They need hope - a kind of unflappable, adamantine hope.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.