Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce an acyl group into (a molecule or compound)‘an acylated glycine derivative’
- ‘It appears to facilitate the transfer of acylated fatty acids across mitochondrial membranes, enhance available energy stores, and improve oxidative muscle metabolism.’
- ‘After evaporating excess reagent, the residue was acylated for 10 min at 150°C using 120 mm heptafluorobutyric anhydride.’
- ‘The series of reactions begin in the cytosol where fatty acids are acylated by combining with coenzyme A, a derivative of the vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic acid.’
- ‘This mechanism might contribute to the increased response of the insulin receptor as observed when subjected to acylated insulin.’
- ‘A recent investigation showed that acylated proteins found in lipid rafts were displaced due to the incorporation of eicosapentaenoic acid in Jurkat T cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.