One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not displaying or forming part of a cycle.
- ‘The network model without selection is also implemented in the directed acyclic graphs used in causal modeling.’
- ‘For this purpose, directed acyclic graphs are suitable for describing the dependencies between the sequences.’
- ‘The functional classes for proteins exist in hierarchies or directed acyclic graphs, which means that the classes are not independent of each other.’
- ‘An orientation is acyclic if it contains no directed cycle, and is totally cyclic if every edge is contained in some oriented cycle.’
- ‘Over the past 15 years, directed acyclic graphs have been introduced into the statistical and philosophical literature to describe statistical models and the causal relationships they capture.’
- 1.1 (of a woman) not having a menstrual cycle.
- 1.2Chemistry (of a compound or molecule) containing no rings of atoms.
- ‘Acyclovir is an acyclic guanosine analog that inhibits viral DNA replication of infected cells.’
- ‘Acyclovir, an acyclic guanosine analog, binds viral DNA polymerase, acting as a chain terminator and ending replication.’
- ‘We describe here the photochromism of another class of viologen inclusion complexes in which the linear acyclic viologen molecules are included in the cavity of crown ether having the pi-electron-donating units.’
- ‘Channel formation may be the result of the presence of the acyclic monoterpine side chain.’
- ‘The latter are substrates for at least seven different enzyme families, whose products are a group of cyclic and acyclic compounds, collectively named oxylipins, which play different roles in plant cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.