One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of integrative medicine that involves pricking the skin or tissues with needles, used to alleviate pain and to treat various physical, mental, and emotional conditions. Originating in ancient China, acupuncture is now widely practiced in the West.
- ‘The Cochrane review of 20 trials found no benefit of acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture.’
- ‘Other useful complementary treatments include acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga and hypnosis.’
- ‘She had tried acupuncture and hypnosis for her IBS with very limited and transient success.’
- ‘He developed his own system of Energy Medicine which was initially based on Chinese acupuncture.’
- ‘Complementary therapies that have a relaxing effect, such as massage and acupuncture, may also be helpful.’
- ‘We can see how acupuncture, homoeopathy and herbalism might be tested.’
- ‘The clinic also offers acupuncture, carried out by technicians with the minimum training.’
- ‘In summary, acupuncture can be a good alternative for the treatment of renal colic.’
- ‘He had booked in for a shiatsu massage, which is based on a Japanese therapy closely related to acupuncture.’
- ‘Psychotherapy is another treatment that, like acupuncture, has a non-biomedical theory base.’
- ‘If an injury does occur, they can receive anything from laser treatment to acupuncture.’
- ‘The day will explore a range of disciplines, including acupuncture, reiki and hypnotherapy.’
- ‘She is now based with her family in Glasgow where she practises acupuncture and writes.’
- ‘However, the role of the brain stem and spinal cord in acupuncture remains unclear.’
- ‘Some people have a fear of needles and imagine that acupuncture is painful.’
- ‘Complementary therapies such as osteopathy and acupuncture are popular.’
- ‘In fact, acupuncture is now used very successfully for all types of drug addiction.’
- ‘I've tried all sorts of treatment including acupuncture and cortisone injections but nothing seems to work.’
- ‘Eiko then introduced me to acupuncture, which relieved my arthritis.’
- ‘The Chinese healing art of acupuncture is one that can be dated back at least two thousand years.’
Late 17th century: from Latin acu ‘with a needle’ + puncture.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.