Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The policy or action of using vigorous campaigning to bring about political or social change.
fanaticism, radicalism, zealotry, zeal, fundamentalism, dogmatism, bigotry, militancy, activismView synonyms
- ‘Anti-war activism by veterans over the years has been largely forgotten or downplayed.’
- ‘They encouraged political activism by organising and advertising demonstrations and protests.’
- ‘This is a brilliant merging of mainstream film production and political activism.’
- ‘Such an approach arguably can make for good social activism, but it begets bad theatre.’
- ‘For a party steeped in a history of armed struggle they are none too keen on radical activism.’
- ‘The American tradition of black civil rights activism is now expressed through this movement.’
- ‘As is often the norm, university was the beginning of my serious political activism.’
- ‘When does the moral justification for activism no longer outweigh the fact that you're breaking the law?’
- ‘Even more fatal was the revival of radical political activism in the army.’
- ‘He was into the student government and activism, plus he was a prolific dub poet.’
- ‘There are a host of seniors out there who have been forced into political activism.’
- ‘She's hoping that political activism will come out of the living rooms and into the streets.’
- ‘There were some very dramatic phrases that came out of the anti-racist activism of the Communist Party.’
- ‘Through it all there is a strand of political activism that waxes and wanes, but never disappears.’
- ‘The anti-war protests around the world had a positive impact on pushing out these groups to take part in more activism.’
- ‘Every time there has been an upsurge in student activism this patronising accusation has been made.’
- ‘Only in recent months has political activism become vital and fashionable.’
- ‘Nonetheless many of these sites illuminate areas of environmental activism you might not have considered.’
- ‘In recent years, women's activism has impacted on other kinds of international conferences.’
- ‘Most of the people that I know won't sign up to political activism in order to get better managers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.