Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The movement of ions or molecules across a cell membrane into a region of higher concentration, assisted by enzymes and requiring energy.
- ‘Complex processes regulate both passive and active transport across the nuclear membrane.’
- ‘Uric acid, formed from nucleic acids, is reabsorbed from filtrate by active transport, and a small portion is actively secreted into the urine.’
- ‘The electrocytes establish a charge difference across the cell membranes, presumably by active transport of ions.’
- ‘The enzyme isoforms seem to have a tissue-specific expression, showing the highest expression levels in cells where intense active transport is expected to occur.’
- ‘The proximal tubule is the site of most secretion, reabsorption, and active transport.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.