Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The minimum quantity of energy that the reacting species must possess in order to undergo a specified reaction.
- ‘Chemical reactions require a minimum or threshold energy, called the activation energy.’
- ‘In addition, to cause a reaction the colliding reactant molecules must surpass a minimum energy termed the activation energy and, in many cases, the reactant molecules must have a certain spatial orientation with respect to each other.’
- ‘The energy that is required to activate molecules for a chemical reaction is the activation energy of the reaction.’
- ‘Since, as transition state theory posits, a chemical reaction requires a specific level of energy, known as the activation energy, every initiated reaction is not automatically completed.’
- ‘To get the reaction to proceed, either the activation energy must be supplied in the form of heat, or the activation energy must be lowered, using a catalyst.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.