One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Charcoal that has been heated or otherwise treated to increase its adsorptive power.
- ‘The Fort Wayne, Indiana, municipal treatment plant specially treats its water with activated charcoal to remove atrazine.’
- ‘Treatment with multiple doses of activated charcoal increases the excretion of a number of drugs.’
- ‘An example would be when it is known that atrazine contamination has occurred; activated carbon filtration could be used to treat the drinking water.’
- ‘Activated charcoal filters used for home water treatment contain either granular activated charcoal or powdered block charcoal.’
- ‘I think the most effective one so far has been activated carbon, and activated carbon simply works very well because the compounds are in very low concentration.’
activated carbon/ˈaktəˌvādid ˈkärbən/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.