Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protein that forms (together with myosin) the contractile filaments of muscle cells, and is also involved in motion in other types of cells.
put on, present, produce, giveView synonyms
- ‘Muscle contraction results from the cyclic interaction of the myosin head with actin.’
- ‘Rabbit skeletal muscle actin was prepared as described and subjected to gel filtration.’
- ‘Striated muscle contraction is regulated by a protein complex bound to actin.’
- ‘As the cells round up, actin and myosin moieties are being redistributed underneath the plasma membrane.’
- ‘Muscle contraction is dependent on two proteins, actin and myosin.’
1940: from Greek aktis, aktin- ray + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.