One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behave in a way appropriate to the particular role or situation that one is in.
- ‘Lydia certainly looked like a young lady, if she did not act the part.’
- ‘These kids don't just dress the part; they act the part, too.’
- ‘The first step to having others believe in you is to believe in yourself, and you must act the part.’
- ‘But they also expected her to act the part.’
- ‘Finally, Loehr says, one secret of confidence is simply acting the part.’
- ‘Through all of the cocktail parties and art openings and lunch with the girls, Cathy puts on a smile and acts the part.’
- ‘I can hardly hold it against you for acting the part.’
- ‘She didn't want to play this game anymore, didn't want to act the part.’
- ‘Acting the part is not certainly his strength.’
- ‘She learns to think of herself as incompetent and comes more and more to act the part.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.