Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Misbehave, especially when unhappy or stressed.‘many children who act out while awaiting placement in a health care facility end up in juvenile detention’
- ‘If it thinks it is the dominant dog, it will also be stressed, and act out very negatively.’
- ‘If the artists really believed that this is a threat to culture, the skeptics say, they would act out.’
- ‘In any other administration someone who acted out as he did today would be fired.’
- ‘If you cheat on your wife, your kids may act out, which may include getting pregnant at 15.’
- ‘Despite all he's been through, the desire to act out with her is almost irresistible.’
- ‘If the child acts out, do we react to the misbehavior or do we ask ourselves if the child is just tired or in need of attention.’
- ‘And then there is Morhange (Jean-Baptiste Maunier), a sweet-faced boy who only acts out because he misses his mother, Violette.’
- ‘She's stuck in the middle of a two family home, and she acts out to get attention.’
- ‘They need to know how to manage someone who is frustrated, who may not be able to communicate, and who will act out if they are unhappy.’
- ‘They get so jealous of you this time of year, so they act out by being mean and telling you there's no Santa.’
- ‘He acts out aggressively as a response to being territorial (wanting to be the only one on a slide - or possessive - wanting a toy train all to himself).’
- ‘If a child needs to feel more powerful, you can create positive and healthy opportunities for this to occur, before that camper acts out and seeks power in an inappropriate way.’
- ‘Throw in a little human interest, a little everyman, and a judge who's acting out.’
- ‘The country acts out like a spoiled teenager getting his knuckles tattooed because he knows Dad will be upset.’
- ‘A camper may be seeking attention or acting out due to being lonely or frustrated.’
- ‘I was a girl, a young girl that was really confused, that was really angry, that definitely acted out.’
- ‘She acts out to get attention, and probably to forget her pain.’
- ‘Hitchcock says he often acts out when he feels his job is threatened because ‘the Eagle’ had to fight to get through the ranks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.