Abnormal growth of the hands, feet, and face, caused by overproduction of growth hormone by the pituitary gland.
- ‘Metabolic disturbances like ostereoporosis, rickets etc., are covered together with endocrine afflictions like acromegaly and hyperparathyroidism.’
- ‘Other nonmalignant endocrine disorders with features of androgen excess include Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, acromegaly and congenital adrenal hyperplasia.’
- ‘Cushing recognized the states of hypopituitarism and hyperpituitarism, and he had a keen interest in acromegaly and dwarfism.’
- ‘Octreotide also is given to decrease growth hormone secretion in acromegaly.’
- ‘Each of these patients had diseases known to predispose to heterotopic calcification including scleroderma, acromegaly, and diabetes mellitus.’
Late 19th century: coined in French from Greek akron tip, extremity + megas, megal- great.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.