One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bluish or purple coloring of the hands and feet caused by slow circulation.
- ‘Massive DVT is characterized by severe pain, swelling of the entire limb, acrocyanosis, and ultrasonic findings of involvement of the iliofemoral vein segment and/or inferior vena cava.’
- ‘The World Health Organization has recommended the use of ginkgo in Raynaud's disease, acrocyanosis, and post-phlebitic syndrome. (2,7)’
- ‘Although acrocyanosis should score 1, and a cry in response to a brisk tangential slap of the soles of the feet should score 2, actual scores were incorrect in a third of cases.’
- ‘In addition to bradycardia, cardiac findings may include acrocyanosis and decrease in overall heart size and stroke volume.’
- ‘‘Blackfoot disease ‘has been associated with arsenic-contaminated drinking water in Taiwan; Raynaud's phenomenon and acrocyanosis also may occur.’’
Late 19th century: from Greek akron ‘tip’ + cyanosis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.