Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Bluish or purple coloring of the hands and feet caused by slow circulation.
- ‘In addition to bradycardia, cardiac findings may include acrocyanosis and decrease in overall heart size and stroke volume.’
- ‘Although acrocyanosis should score 1, and a cry in response to a brisk tangential slap of the soles of the feet should score 2, actual scores were incorrect in a third of cases.’
- ‘‘Blackfoot disease ‘has been associated with arsenic-contaminated drinking water in Taiwan; Raynaud's phenomenon and acrocyanosis also may occur.’’
- ‘The World Health Organization has recommended the use of ginkgo in Raynaud's disease, acrocyanosis, and post-phlebitic syndrome. (2,7)’
- ‘Massive DVT is characterized by severe pain, swelling of the entire limb, acrocyanosis, and ultrasonic findings of involvement of the iliofemoral vein segment and/or inferior vena cava.’
Late 19th century: from Greek akron ‘tip’ + cyanosis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.