One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Damaged hearing suffered by the user of a listening device as a result of sudden excessive noise.
- ‘Some of Britain's biggest employers will attend a conference tomorrow aimed at increasing awareness of acoustic shock - caused by sudden, high-pitched noises from earpieces of telephone headsets.’
- ‘A consultant has documented 300 cases of acoustic shock and the problem is well known.’
- ‘The company has already paid out 90,000 pounds to one worker suffering from acoustic shock.’
- ‘Acoustic shock is a devastating 21st Century industrial injury ruining call centre workers' lives and costing industry millions.’
- ‘The TUC launched a campaign on Call Centres and the issue of workers suffering acoustic shock has been highlighted in many Press reports.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.