One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Damaged hearing suffered by the user of a listening device as a result of sudden excessive noise.
- ‘The company has already paid out 90,000 pounds to one worker suffering from acoustic shock.’
- ‘The TUC launched a campaign on Call Centres and the issue of workers suffering acoustic shock has been highlighted in many Press reports.’
- ‘Acoustic shock is a devastating 21st Century industrial injury ruining call centre workers' lives and costing industry millions.’
- ‘A consultant has documented 300 cases of acoustic shock and the problem is well known.’
- ‘Some of Britain's biggest employers will attend a conference tomorrow aimed at increasing awareness of acoustic shock - caused by sudden, high-pitched noises from earpieces of telephone headsets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.