Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A winter squash, typically of a dark green variety, with a longitudinally ridged rind.
- ‘Remove from heat and spread mixture on top of acorn squash.’
- ‘For winter use the little acorn squash is ideal, and there are many ways they may be prepared.’
- ‘Returning to the house, we found Martha preparing a warming dinner of lentil soup with shavings of white cheddar, roasted acorn squash with sliced apples, and aforementioned bread.’
- ‘Try the pecan-stuffed acorn squash, but save room for a sensuous slice of chocolate diablo cake.’
- ‘They now raise 30 acres of irrigated sweet corn, 10 acres of pumpkins, and 7 acres of vegetables, everything from acorn squash to zucchini.’
- ‘Try baked acorn squash or raw carrots for beta-carotene, and oranges and grapefruits for vitamin C.’
- ‘These include potatoes, watermelon, acorn squash, beans, grapefruit juice, plain yogurt, milk, sweet potatoes, and tomato juice.’
- ‘Oranges (such as butternut and acorn squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe) contain carotenoids (beta carotene is one), fierce antioxidants that help prevent cancer.’
- ‘It is accompanied by acorn squash, a hearty stuffing of freshly made herbed bread, and a make-ahead mashed potato casserole.’
- ‘By way of accompaniment, we roasted acorn squash and red peppers, sautéed red onions, and made a big salad of farmers' market lettuces and shaved fennel.’
- ‘I also brought in actual vegetables: acorn squash, butternut squash, artichokes, red, green and yellow peppers, eggplant and several others with which even I wasn't familiar.’
- ‘BUDDING STARS A collection of orange acorn squash or small pumpkins sets a festive autumn tone as a centerpiece or entry table arrangement.’
- ‘To make mashed, cooked squash, wash, halve, and remove seeds from 2 medium acorn squash.’
- ‘‘A cute, relaxed place with friendly service, sane prices and very good food, including Jamaican black bean cakes, stuffed acorn squash and the ‘World's Best Soy Burger.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.