One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A winter squash, typically of a dark green variety, with a longitudinally ridged rind.
- ‘BUDDING STARS A collection of orange acorn squash or small pumpkins sets a festive autumn tone as a centerpiece or entry table arrangement.’
- ‘They now raise 30 acres of irrigated sweet corn, 10 acres of pumpkins, and 7 acres of vegetables, everything from acorn squash to zucchini.’
- ‘By way of accompaniment, we roasted acorn squash and red peppers, sautéed red onions, and made a big salad of farmers' market lettuces and shaved fennel.’
- ‘Try the pecan-stuffed acorn squash, but save room for a sensuous slice of chocolate diablo cake.’
- ‘Remove from heat and spread mixture on top of acorn squash.’
- ‘Oranges (such as butternut and acorn squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe) contain carotenoids (beta carotene is one), fierce antioxidants that help prevent cancer.’
- ‘For winter use the little acorn squash is ideal, and there are many ways they may be prepared.’
- ‘These include potatoes, watermelon, acorn squash, beans, grapefruit juice, plain yogurt, milk, sweet potatoes, and tomato juice.’
- ‘I also brought in actual vegetables: acorn squash, butternut squash, artichokes, red, green and yellow peppers, eggplant and several others with which even I wasn't familiar.’
- ‘It is accompanied by acorn squash, a hearty stuffing of freshly made herbed bread, and a make-ahead mashed potato casserole.’
- ‘Returning to the house, we found Martha preparing a warming dinner of lentil soup with shavings of white cheddar, roasted acorn squash with sliced apples, and aforementioned bread.’
- ‘Try baked acorn squash or raw carrots for beta-carotene, and oranges and grapefruits for vitamin C.’
- ‘To make mashed, cooked squash, wash, halve, and remove seeds from 2 medium acorn squash.’
- ‘‘A cute, relaxed place with friendly service, sane prices and very good food, including Jamaican black bean cakes, stuffed acorn squash and the ‘World's Best Soy Burger.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.