One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier Antiaircraft gunfire.as modifier ‘a quick burst of ack-ack fire’
- ‘Keating and the officers and men went to sleep under clean skies, a sleep disturbed by the angry bark of ack-ack batteries and the drone of German planes looking for the beaches.’
- ‘The flight across the Channel was uneventful, but as soon as the formation crossed into German territory, ack-ack started opening up.’
- ‘Heavy and light Japanese ack-ack trailed the runaway plane.’
- ‘But the war grew wings and swept on and except for one Ju 88 who buzzed the field without biting yet drew 5000 rounds from the eager ack-ack boys.’
- ‘Gardner was hit by our own ack-ack and bailed out.’
Signallers' name for the letters AA; ack for A was replaced in military use by able in 1942.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.