Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An excessively acid condition of the body fluids or tissues.
- ‘Illnesses include ailments resulting from mineral deposition caused by acidosis, arthritis, and arteriosclerosis.’
- ‘The urine ketone dip test was highly sensitive for diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic ketosis with or without acidosis.’
- ‘Lactic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, and multiple organ dysfunction syndromes can complicate this disease.’
- ‘She had the respiratory distress and metabolic acidosis of severe malaria, and needed blood urgently.’
- ‘Arterial blood gas analysis should be performed to exclude hypoxia and acidosis as contributors to pulmonary hypertension.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.