One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of rock music, mainly of the late 1960s, associated with or inspired by the use of hallucinogenic drugs.
- ‘We are being invaded by hard rock, acid rock, punk rock, new wave, and heavy metal music under the guise of religious rock and roll.’
- ‘Most of them grew up listening to acid rock, and have no ears.’
- ‘Allan, it's been said, was the missing link between heavy-reverb surf music, early garage punk and psychedelic acid rock.’
- ‘So keep on the look out for an acid rock version of ‘Be-Bop-a-Lula’.’
- ‘In the early days it was really about the 12-minute esoteric psychedelic acid rock jam thing, and I've kind of returned to that format because it's just natural for me.’
- ‘Markert says that, while Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze personified 1960s acid rock, four fifths of the songs that explicitly mention LSD are post 1980 and overwhelmingly hostile.’
- ‘Set on the brink of nihilism, with acid rock replacing the old martial melodies, the vision was not upward into sun and clouds, but downward into mud and agony.’
- ‘This is a vocal pop band, not an acid rock band, and there's only so many weird things you can do with group harmonies.’
- ‘With the dawn of the 21st century, a completely new era, the music of the good old days namely the 1960's acid rock has taken a backseat to trance and ‘bubblegum’ pop.’
- ‘The following track pushes their acid rock aspirations to the forefront.’
- ‘Looking back I can see that that first apartment had a good layout and was spacious, but it was ground floor and the guys above me lifted weights to acid rock.’
- ‘We decide to escape the tinny acid rock version of ‘Summertime Blues’ blaring overhead and covertly take our brews ‘to go.’’
- ‘On the latest album, he's bringing the beats and scattered rhymes into the zone of spooky jazz fusion and hallucinogenic acid rock.’
- ‘As soft pop began to lose its commercial allure to an audience more interested in Fillmore-styled acid rock, the group found themselves on somewhat shakier ground.’
- ‘Maybe it was the guy in the car next to you blasting acid rock music to everyone within a 20 block radius.’
- ‘Not that we'd want them to attempt acid rock, anyway, but they do on ‘Yes, I Am Experienced’ and ‘It's All Meat ’, both howlingly incompetent attempts at Jimi Hendrix and Cream, respectively.’
- ‘Unfortunately, 1980s technology was not designed for artists influenced by the 1960s acid rock of Captain Beefheart, the 1950s rhythm and blues of Bo Diddley and the organic harmonies of early Beatles.’
- ‘Formed in 1989, the band is known for their slow-boiling acid rock, but there's little of that here.’
- ‘It mixes Wagner with Ravel, adding its acid rock roof raiser theme song every few minutes to induce true aural frenzy.’
- ‘Ken Kesey, author of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and the legendary leader of the Merry Pranksters - the pioneering hippies who spread LSD and acid rock from their magic bus - died yesterday near his home in Oregon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.