One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which acidic gastric fluid flows backward into the esophagus, resulting in heartburn.
- ‘Too much sugar can certainly give you a stomach ache, and, in fact, too much of anything can upset your stomach and cause acid reflux or heartburn.’
- ‘He is getting throat surgery to correct an acid reflux problem.’
- ‘Doctor-recommended remedies for airborne allergies, acid reflux, and bacterial infection didn't work.’
- ‘Aside from simply making you miserable, poorly treated acid reflux can lead to more serious health problems, including ulcers, permanent scarring of the esophagus, and even certain types of cancer.’
- ‘In some cases oesophageal function testing may reveal a motility disorder or acid reflux unresponsive to first line drugs.’
- ‘The patient never complained of any symptoms of regurgitation or acid reflux after the first transplantation.’
- ‘I've taken prescription medication daily for eight years, and my doctor says it is all right to continue if it is helping my acid reflux.’
- ‘More than 25 percent of the 15,000 participants in the study said they experienced nighttime acid reflux.’
- ‘If your chest x-ray is normal, your doctor will look for common conditions that can cause a chronic cough, like postnasal drip, acid reflux disease, and asthma.’
- ‘He survived but ever since the incident he has suffered from irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux disease.’
- ‘Researchers analyzed studies from the past 40 years, many showing a notable link between a high body mass index and acid reflux.’
- ‘I was diagnosed with a variety of conditions, including acid reflux, high blood pressure, depression and anxiety and chronic headaches.’
- ‘If you suffer from acid reflux, deglycyrrhizinated licorice, or DGL, could make meals more pleasant.’
- ‘Other studies have confirmed that chewing sugarless gum for 30 minutes after a meal can help ease acid reflux.’
- ‘The exact cause of the disease is un-known but studies show the most common risk factors include smoking and alcohol use, being overweight, suffering from chronic heartburn or acid reflux and old age.’
- ‘Too much coffee is dangerous to one's health, and excessive use may lead to heart disease, acid reflux, and insomnia, as well as pregnancy complications for women.’
- ‘We hypothesize that our patient's severe acid reflux led to acute and chronic bronchial and bronchiolar inflammation, which caused the progressive decline in his pulmonary function.’
- ‘The singer blamed her infamous lip-synch fiasco on acid reflux.’
- ‘I have not had an episode of gastritis or acid reflux in two months.’
- ‘Doctors have given me several diagnoses: dry nasal passages, allergies, and a throat infection or acid reflux.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.