Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in which acidic gastric fluid is regurgitated into the esophagus, causing heartburn.
- ‘Too much sugar can certainly give you a stomach ache, and, in fact, too much of anything can upset your stomach and cause acid reflux or heartburn.’
- ‘In some cases oesophageal function testing may reveal a motility disorder or acid reflux unresponsive to first line drugs.’
- ‘The singer blamed her infamous lip-synch fiasco on acid reflux.’
- ‘The exact cause of the disease is un-known but studies show the most common risk factors include smoking and alcohol use, being overweight, suffering from chronic heartburn or acid reflux and old age.’
- ‘Too much coffee is dangerous to one's health, and excessive use may lead to heart disease, acid reflux, and insomnia, as well as pregnancy complications for women.’
- ‘Doctors have given me several diagnoses: dry nasal passages, allergies, and a throat infection or acid reflux.’
- ‘I was diagnosed with a variety of conditions, including acid reflux, high blood pressure, depression and anxiety and chronic headaches.’
- ‘We hypothesize that our patient's severe acid reflux led to acute and chronic bronchial and bronchiolar inflammation, which caused the progressive decline in his pulmonary function.’
- ‘If your chest x-ray is normal, your doctor will look for common conditions that can cause a chronic cough, like postnasal drip, acid reflux disease, and asthma.’
- ‘The patient never complained of any symptoms of regurgitation or acid reflux after the first transplantation.’
- ‘Researchers analyzed studies from the past 40 years, many showing a notable link between a high body mass index and acid reflux.’
- ‘If you suffer from acid reflux, deglycyrrhizinated licorice, or DGL, could make meals more pleasant.’
- ‘Doctor-recommended remedies for airborne allergies, acid reflux, and bacterial infection didn't work.’
- ‘I have not had an episode of gastritis or acid reflux in two months.’
- ‘Other studies have confirmed that chewing sugarless gum for 30 minutes after a meal can help ease acid reflux.’
- ‘I've taken prescription medication daily for eight years, and my doctor says it is all right to continue if it is helping my acid reflux.’
- ‘He survived but ever since the incident he has suffered from irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux disease.’
- ‘He is getting throat surgery to correct an acid reflux problem.’
- ‘More than 25 percent of the 15,000 participants in the study said they experienced nighttime acid reflux.’
- ‘Aside from simply making you miserable, poorly treated acid reflux can lead to more serious health problems, including ulcers, permanent scarring of the esophagus, and even certain types of cancer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.