Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rainfall made sufficiently acidic by atmospheric pollution that it causes environmental harm, typically to forests and lakes. The main cause is the industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels, the waste gases from which contain sulfur and nitrogen oxides, which combine with atmospheric water to form acids.
- ‘Levels of sulphur dioxide, a major source of acid rain, have declined over recent years, but pollutants causing eutrophication have been increasing.’
- ‘National levels of ozone and soot are down, as are emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrous oxide, key components of smog and acid rain.’
- ‘Transport is a major source of two of the constituents of acid rain, namely sulphur dioxide and nitrous oxides.’
- ‘The city children got a chance to be in the country and become aware of the watershed system, acid rain and pollution.’
- ‘Lau said it would require a forest 58 times the size of Hong Kong to soak up the city's carbon dioxide wastes, and that the sulphur dioxide would create acid rain.’
- ‘Nitrogen and sulphur emissions cause acid rain which can wipe out populations of fish.’
- ‘Ever the sceptic, the author claims that all the money and resources that have been applied to the study of toxic pollutants and acid rain, global warming and dying reefs, are a total waste.’
- ‘In view of the volatile economic situation in the region it is difficult to make reliable predictions regarding the extent of acid rain and associated air pollution problems in the future.’
- ‘Pollution from coal plants is also a main cause of acid rain and is one of the largest sources of carbon dioxide emissions, which cause global warming.’
- ‘Trees also clear the air of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, two major components of acid rain and ozone pollution.’
- ‘Unlike burning coal or oil, wave and wind machines do not spew sulphur and cause acid rain.’
- ‘Global environmental issues like acid rain, ozone depletion, and climate change are relatively recent phenomena.’
- ‘Power generated from fossil fuels causes smog, mercury pollution, acid rain and global warming.’
- ‘Other aviation gases include hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide, which contribute to acid rain.’
- ‘When the fuel is burnt, toxic gases such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide are given off, which combine with water in the air to form acid rain.’
- ‘The products work by creating a seal over the car's paintwork, protecting it from fading caused by ultraviolet radiation, road salts, pollution and acid rain.’
- ‘Coal is the most polluting fuel in our energy mix contributing, among other things, to smog, acid rain and global warming.’
- ‘One industrial application of acid-base titration is in the attempt to overcome the damage from acid rain and related air pollution.’
- ‘Burning fuel doesn't just make the air dirty; it also contributes to acid rain, global warming, even asthma.’
- ‘Wind energy doesn't produce sulfur dioxide or nitrous oxides that cause acid rain, and it does not disrupt the Earth's climate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.