Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for achromatic lens
- ‘The long focus achromat is certainly not portable but it does give superb images at a reasonable cost.’
- ‘Quartz-sapphire and quartz-lanthanum fluoride achromats provide better performance.’
- ‘Since my old box contains the mbs - 10, it is time to compare its lens to some available achromats and some closeup lenses lying around in my cupboard.’
- ‘The two-element lenses used in today's achromats greatly reduce the chromatic aberration.’
- ‘This high quality fully coated achromat with a focal ratio of f / 9 is compact for a 203 mm and weighs only 44 lbs and is supplied with high quality hinged mounting rings.’
- ‘But labels can be misleading; just as there are better quality achromats, not all apochromats are created equal.’
- ‘Fluorite objectives also have better resolving power than achromats and provide a higher degree of contrast, making them better suited than achromats for color photomicrography in white light.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.