One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendon connecting calf muscles to the heel.
- ‘Poor training routines can contribute to soft tissue injuries such as those to Achilles tendons, hamstrings and calf and adductor muscles.’
- ‘Lower your heels at a slow to moderate speed until you feel a strong stretch in your Achilles tendons and calf muscles.’
- ‘One of every six players studied was playing with ongoing pain in the Achilles tendon region, most often in the midportion of the tendon.’
- ‘At the end of the two weeks he sustained a full rupture of both Achilles tendons when he crouched down to put a video in his machine.’
- ‘This is especially true if the rupture is in the Achilles tendon, the tendon just above the heel.’
- ‘This combination will challenge your balance, firm the glutes and thighs, and stretch the Achilles tendons and shin muscles.’
- ‘A common sprain injury is a torn Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscles to the heel.’
- ‘Thickening of the Achilles tendon following an operation has been widely reported.’
- ‘Now repeatedly raise and lower your heels for a strong stretch of the calves and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘The second patient sustained a heavy blow to the Achilles tendon from a falling metal bar 10 weeks after the initial trauma.’
- ‘Painful Achilles tendon is a syndrome that can affect people of all ages and activity levels.’
- ‘Wearing high heels may lead to contracture of the Achilles tendon leading to tendon problems behind the heel and also pain under the heel.’
- ‘The following year she was favourite to take world championships gold in Athens but left the track in tears after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon and a torn calf muscle.’
- ‘You'll also need to stretch the major muscle groups used for dancing, including your hamstrings and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘But he severely strained his Achilles tendons when the staff exercised him too hard.’
- ‘As in other conditions with the Achilles tendon, it is frequently aggravated by hill running and interval training.’
- ‘Small lumps, called rheumatoid nodules, may form under your skin at pressure points, and can occur at your elbows, hands, feet and Achilles tendons.’
- ‘Ankle and ligament damage is also common, as well as Achilles tendon rupture and calf tendon tears.’
- ‘Tearing of tendons is rare, because their breaking strength is high, but the Achilles tendon for example is sometimes the victim of sports injury.’
- ‘Think of a runner with tight calf muscles and a tight Achilles tendon running up a hill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.