One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in India) a Hindu or Buddhist spiritual teacher or leader.
spiritual teacher, teacher, tutor, sage, counsellor, mentor, guiding light, spiritual leader, leader, masterView synonyms
- ‘In the four authorized sampradayas, the acharyas have compiled Deity worship manuals based on these Pancharatra books.’
- ‘It could as well have been a Muslim moulana or a Hindu acharya.’
- ‘A unique eleventh-century image of four-faced Brahma seated as acharya for the wedding of Siva and Uma comes from the Asia Society Gallery in New York.’
- ‘There are other commentaries by vaishnava acharyas.’
- ‘Such an acharya, or spiritual master, should be considered nondifferent from Krishna - that is, he should be considered the incarnation of Lord Krishna's potency.’
- ‘‘We are trying to know the treasures of ancient Indian scriptures and translate them,’ says the resident acharya at the centre, Swami Advayananda.’
- ‘As explained by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Sri Krishna has His eternal, blissful form that is full of knowledge, and all Vaishnava acharyas accept this.’
- ‘It was Swami Chinmayananda who was among the first acharyas to popularise the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads throughout India and abroad through discourses.’
- ‘One satguru would be followed by the next satguru, swamis and acharyas by more swamis and acharyas, devoted families by more devoted families, generation after generation.’
- ‘Even the Ayurvedic acharyas prescribe the chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranamam for getting the physical-oral-psychological peacefulness and for curing diseases.’
- ‘Elephants and horses have been replaced now by tractors and wagons decked with flowers and a throne for each acharya and a few of his followers.’
- ‘Krishnaa looked at Acharya Kripa and the acharya sat with his eyes fixed at his feet.’
- ‘Considering this, the acharya began worshiping the Lord.’
- ‘The acharya of sthapaka, was Sri Thanga Bhattar, former chief priest of the Meenakshi temple in Madurai, who had come from Thailand where he had presided over another temple opening.’
- ‘Approximately 20 shastris and acharyas graduate from the Vedarsh Mahavidyalaya every year.’
- ‘But the acharya in his magnanimity accepts him and teaches him all he knows.’
- ‘Quoting the ‘Ashtangahrudaya,’ the acharya says the malady is nothing but divine retribution for the sins the patient had committed in his past life.’
- ‘Vaishnava acharyas, specifically Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, led the people on the path towards a realization of going back to Godhead.’
- ‘Actor, Babu Antony's brother, Thampy Antony, plays the role of the Ayurveda acharya and the American actor, Stan Christensen, comes as the U.S. doctor.’
- ‘Sri Chaitanya also empowered other great acharyas and their unlimited followers, who were also transcendental poets, to perceive the Rasa Tattva through Gaura-lila and to perceive Rasa Tattva through Krishna kirtan.’
- 1.1 An influential mentor.
Early 19th century: from Sanskrit ācārya ‘master, teacher’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.