Producing or resembling vinegar.‘acetous fermentation’
pungent, bitter, sharp, sour, tart, harsh, acid, acidic, acidulated, vinegary, acerbic, aceticView synonyms
- ‘Or the same articles may be treated with a quart of distilled vinegar, to form the compound acetous tincture.’
- ‘Malt Vinegar is an aged and filtered product obtained from the acetous fermentation of distilled infusion of malt and is a good example of vinegar originating from cereals.’
- ‘This is probably owing principally to the mucilage contained in the bran, which runs into the acetous fermentation sooner than starch.’
- ‘By the third day the acetous fermentation had begun in all of them, and in a few more days each emitted an offensive odor.’
- ‘If wines are kept in a warm cellar, an acetous fermentation will soon commence, and the result consequently will be vinegar.’
Late Middle English (rare before the late 18th century): from late Latin acetosus ‘sour’, from Latin acetum ‘vinegar’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.