One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The anhydride of acetic acid. It is a colorless pungent liquid, used in making synthetic fibers.
Chemical formula: (CH₃CO)₂O
- ‘Opium is turned into heroin through a refining process that requires the application of acetic anhydride, a chemical agent manufactured in Europe, Mexico and the US.’
- ‘Following additional washes with PBT, the slides were treated for 10 min with acetic anhydride and triethanolamine-HCl to reduce background.’
- ‘Thailand has vowed to control the movement of chemicals used in the production of amphetamines and heroin, including acetic anhydride and chloroform.’
- ‘Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.’
- ‘Nitration with nitric acid alone, or in combination with acetic acid, acetic anhydride, or sulfuric acid, are common examples of adding nitro functional groups to aromatic hydrocarbons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.