Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organic compound formed by the condensation of two alcohol molecules with an aldehyde molecule.
- ‘Among the crystalline polymers are polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon, thermoplastic polyesters, acetal, and polyphenylene sulfide.’
- ‘Because a key ingredient of acetal is formaldehyde, acetal components left in a sealed container for a few weeks will emit a strong formaldehyde odor.’
- ‘Multiple flow sizes from 1 ¼ 4 to 1 ¼ 2 in. are available in materials such as acetal, polypropylene, polycarbonate, and polysulfone.’
- ‘Experience in distilling aldehydes led us to believe that acetaldehyde would form acetals in the overheads of the low pressure column.’
- ‘Water, ethanol, volatile organic acids, aldehydes, esters, acetals, and ketones, many of them powerfully aromatic, are among the azeotrope components in wines.’
- ‘A polyaryletherketone polymer replaces acetal, titanium, and other traditional materials.’
- ‘Its biologically active metabolites include acetal aldehyde which has been linked to ‘hangover ‘symptoms.’’
- ‘The researchers have used supercritical CO 2 as medium for the conversion of alcohols to linear and branched ethers, to cyclic ethers, to aryl ethers and to acetals and ketals in good yields and, all-importantly, with high selectivities.’
- ‘While Delrin is frequently specified, distributors estimate that 80% of the acetals sold today are actually copolymers.’
- ‘In addition, the use of specialty primers enables light-cure cyanoacrylates to develop strong bonds to polyolefins and other hard-to-bond plastics, such as fluoropolymers and acetal resins.’
Mid 19th century: from acetic + -al from alcohol, aldehyde.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.