One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound formed by the condensation of two alcohol molecules with an aldehyde molecule.
Acetals have the general formula R¹CH(OR²)₂, where R¹ and R² are alkyl groups
- ‘While Delrin is frequently specified, distributors estimate that 80% of the acetals sold today are actually copolymers.’
- ‘Its biologically active metabolites include acetal aldehyde which has been linked to ‘hangover ‘symptoms.’’
- ‘Multiple flow sizes from 1 ¼ 4 to 1 ¼ 2 in. are available in materials such as acetal, polypropylene, polycarbonate, and polysulfone.’
- ‘Among the crystalline polymers are polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon, thermoplastic polyesters, acetal, and polyphenylene sulfide.’
- ‘Experience in distilling aldehydes led us to believe that acetaldehyde would form acetals in the overheads of the low pressure column.’
- ‘A polyaryletherketone polymer replaces acetal, titanium, and other traditional materials.’
- ‘Because a key ingredient of acetal is formaldehyde, acetal components left in a sealed container for a few weeks will emit a strong formaldehyde odor.’
- ‘Water, ethanol, volatile organic acids, aldehydes, esters, acetals, and ketones, many of them powerfully aromatic, are among the azeotrope components in wines.’
- ‘The researchers have used supercritical CO 2 as medium for the conversion of alcohols to linear and branched ethers, to cyclic ethers, to aryl ethers and to acetals and ketals in good yields and, all-importantly, with high selectivities.’
- ‘In addition, the use of specialty primers enables light-cure cyanoacrylates to develop strong bonds to polyolefins and other hard-to-bond plastics, such as fluoropolymers and acetal resins.’
Mid 19th century: from acetic acid + al from alcohol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.