One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mass of sedimentary material scraped off a region of oceanic crust during subduction and piled up at the edge of the overriding plate.
- ‘A maximum age is indicated by the Cambrian Akaz seamount in an accretionary prism, the presence of which implies the existence of a trench adjacent to the arc.’
- ‘In ancient accretionary wedges elsewhere, they typically overlie chert sequences and are commonly interpreted to have accumulated upon oceanic crust close to a convergent margin.’
- ‘Collectively these objectives will comprise a comprehensive effort to delineate the mechanics of fluid migration and dewatering activity in the Costa Rica accretionary prism.’
- ‘The disposition of these three neighbouring units probably corresponds to their original relations in the growing accretionary wedge.’
- ‘A seamount capped by limestone was incorporated into the accretionary prism north of the arc in Cambrian-Early Ordovician time.’
- ‘Although it is currently interpreted as an accretionary prism complex, the exact depositional setting remains unclear.’
- ‘The most widely accepted view is that of an accretionary prism developed above an active subduction zone.’
- ‘This assemblage is interpreted as the accretionary prism of an active continental margin.’
- ‘There is a continuing loss of some sediment into the mantle at subduction zones, although the ‘conveyor-belt’ system of plate tectonics ensures that most sediment is added to the accretionary wedge of the overriding plate.’
- ‘The Dzag schists to the north of the ophiolite zone have previously been interpreted as part of an accretionary wedge.’
- ‘The Oman Fault separates the Zagros fold and thrust belt from the Makran accretionary wedge in the east.’
- ‘In accretionary prism models, the fact that the sediments are unlithified during deformation and burial indicates that accretion occurred soon after deposition.’
- ‘This style of flow is not unexpected at deep levels of an accretionary prism like the Otago Schist that is being thickened by underplating from below.’
- ‘In summary, we interpret Unit II as a fragment of a volcanic seamount incorporated into an Early Palaeozoic accretionary prism.’
- ‘Episodes of differential uplift are attributed to active subcretion building culminations above blind imbricate thrusts deep in the accretionary prism beneath the coast.’
- ‘The complexes were stacked during the Devonian in an accretionary wedge to the west or NW of the Rheic oceanic basin.’
- ‘Around both zones accretionary wedges are indications of Cretaceous subduction.’
- ‘It seems unlikely that an ophiolite fragment 300 km long would remain intact and unmixed with the rest of the rocks in an accretionary wedge.’
- ‘This higher mobility is probably due to an extremely thin crust at the advancing edge of the overriding plate, easily affected by the growth or erosion of the accretionary wedge.’
- ‘Work on modern accretionary prisms and analogue experiments have recently emphasized the role of seismic activity in the generation of similar vein arrays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.