One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ladder or stairway up the side of a ship allowing access, especially to and from a small boat, or from a dock.
- ‘The purpose of this notice is to draw attention to the need to inspect and maintain ships accommodation ladders in order to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained.’
- ‘All of the companies standard ranges of ships access equipment, accommodation ladders and gangways are all approved by the major classification societies and regulatory bodies.’
- ‘In short order, a team of Sailors led by Kafka retrieved a heavy steel accommodation ladder from the port side.’
- ‘For ease of handling, most accommodation ladders in the Navy today are made of aluminum. 1.’
- ‘One of the survivors, shortly after coming up the accommodation ladder dripping wet, grabbed me (the nearest sailor), hugged me as tightly as his strength would allow, and could only murmur ‘thank you’ through sobs of joy.’
- ‘Most of these incidents have arisen due to improperly rigged gangways, accommodation ladders or ladders and have occurred in the immediate vicinity of the ship to shore access area.’
- ‘Stowing systems can utilize both of our standard ranges of accommodation ladders or can be designed to suit an existing ladder.’
- ‘The construction of the accommodation ladder did not conform to the vessel's drawings or specifications.’
- ‘To extend 6 feet beyond the ends of the means of access if there is an accommodation ladder or gangplank hung parallel with the ship's side.’
- ‘Positioning of Access Equipment The angles of inclination of a gangway or accommodation ladder should be kept within the limits of which it was designed.’
- ‘By 1636, the accommodation ladder was lowered on the dock, and shortly thereafter officials, media, and hungry longshoremen started coming aboard.’
- ‘Two Darnell crewmembers who were trying to get aboard reached for the accommodation ladder when a surge in the choppy waters caused the two to fall into the rough seas.’
- ‘These connecting bars do however not strengthen the torsional resistance of the accommodation ladder.’
- ‘Entitled ‘Required Boarding Arrangements for Pilot’, the poster shows graphically how the pilot ladder and accommodation ladder must be rigged.’
- ‘Treads and steps of the accommodation ladder should be so designed that an adequate and safe foothold is given at the operative angles.’
accommodation ladder/əˌkäməˈdāSHən ˈladər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.