Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance poisonous to mites or ticks.
- ‘Extensive studies have shown that treatment with acaricides (chemical agents that kill dust mites) or tannic acid to denature dust mite allergens are only minimally effective and must be repeated frequently.’
- ‘The major categories of pesticides classified by target are fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, acaricides, molluscicides, nematicides, rodenticides, avicides, and antibiotics.’
- ‘The acaricide rubs off and kills ticks on the animal's head and neck, where 90 percent of adult ticks are found.’
- ‘Standard therapy consists of application of topical acaricides (lindane, permethrin, benzyl benzoate, etc.) that must remain on the affected areas for a certain time and then be washed off.’
- ‘On the four corners of the bin are paint rollers, which hold ‘one of the safest acaricides we could find for our experimental trials,’ according to one of its inventors.’
- ‘On fall and spring days, and on winter days when the temperature stays above 45 [degrees], the researchers spend their time stocking the feeders with corn and applying acaricide to the rollers.’
- ‘Allergen avoidance measures included breast feeding with mothers on a low allergen diet, use of acaricides, and mattress covers.’
- ‘However, acaricides do not penetrate far enough to kill mites deep inside the mattress and so are not as effective as when used on carpeting.’
- ‘Carbosulfan belongs to the benzofuranyl methylcarbamate group of insecticides / acaricides.’
- ‘In case of severe infestation spray any systemic insecticide and acaricide for mites along with neem oil.’
Late 19th century: from Greek akari mite, tick + -cide.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.