One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a series of awards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Hollywood given annually since 1928 for achievement in the movie industry in various categories; an Oscar.
- ‘Kingsley outshines Winstone's implosively keen performance, and the casting director deserves an Academy award, easily.’
- ‘Well blow me down if I don't give you an Academy award on the spot for your breathtaking talent and originality.’
- ‘Nominated for 7 Academy awards in 1994, it failed to bag a single award.’
- ‘A three-time Academy award winner, he has specialised in scene-stealing eccentrics with more than a touch of lunacy, from the mental patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to the axe murderer in The Shining.’
- ‘He won the Academy award for best actor for his work in Scent of a Woman.’
- ‘And in the beginning the academy would not let us interview anybody who was up for an Academy award.’
- ‘He moved to Sweden with his wife but returned to the US in 1972 to collect a special Academy award.’
- ‘Either way, this year's Academy award belongs to The Lord of the Rings.’
- ‘Elizabeth Taylor did not receive an Academy award nomination for Three Faces of Eve.’
- ‘It would win the 1974 Academy award for Best Documentary.’
- ‘It is Heston's Oscar-winning delivery that gives them stature and status, even if it is 40 years since he collected his Academy award for his performance in Ben Hur.’
- ‘The fact that it made to the final round of the best foreign film category of the Academy awards itself proves beyond doubt that the film is a winner.’
- ‘And that passion helped a young actor give the best performance of his career, and get nominated for an Academy award.’
- ‘Olivier received an Academy award nomination for Best Actor, but lost to Burt Lancaster for his work in Elmer Gantry.’
- ‘But Julie Andrews became a bigtime movie star the same year by starring in Disney's original musical Mary Poppins - and won the Academy award for Best Actress.’
- ‘Bolstered by a handful of Academy award nominations, I had high expectations for this film.’
- ‘The rule states that either the most popular or the most significant film gets the Academy award for best screenplay.’
- ‘Was Grace Kelly ever nominated for an Academy award?’
- ‘This is a documentary that, if there is any justice at all, should win him a special diamond-studded Academy award: a real-life human drama that David Lean would have loved.’
- ‘A child prodigy and prolific opera composer, Korngold composed music for sixteen films, mostly for Warner Bros, and received Academy awards for Anthony Adverse and The Adventures of Robin Hood.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.