Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The owner of property that abuts (touches on) another.
- ‘For further clarification on abutters lists for particular projects, kindly contact the petitioned board or agency.’
- ‘The Commission notes that it follows a presumption that all property matters that arise within the legal definition of an abutter are presumed to financially impact the property within that area.’
- ‘Large or oddly shaped lots may have several abutters to the rear, sides, or across the street.’
- ‘‘We are abutters and we were not notified of any of the meetings,’ he said.’
- ‘Also in July, a group of river abutters, selectmen and Olson met and came up with the idea of creating a town committee to consider flooding and dam-management issues.’
- ‘The Planning Board got a look Monday night at a new design for the Milestone Rotary which would involve taking property from abutters to create double lanes and turning lanes in some locations.’
- ‘Even were Mrs. Brown to lack standing as an abutter or an aggrieved person, that would not end this appeal because she represents a group of individuals, some of whom are certainly abutters.’
- ‘And he promised the abutters his project will not aggravate their problems with pre-Title 5 septic systems and low-level wells.’
- ‘The practical effect is that developers need not retain experts and present evidence on every claimed basis for standing, only those bases in which the abutter actually presents evidence.’
- ‘An abutter has several opportunities during the Public Hearing process to voice concerns about a given subdivision that may alter the final design or decision.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.